Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Artisans of Bamako



I came to Mali seeking a Blacksmithing tradition established it seemed before the dawn of time. I would speak with people who still remembered ancient things about land and nature; how to extract steel from stone like rain from the heavens, an old magic. I would connect with something timeless and make art inspired by history... buuut on the way there I found these young boys out here doing some really creative work in the city. Bamako's artisans really look to me as if the prisons, crack-game, weed industry, and just plain idleness had been lifted high in the sky like a carpet, shaken mightily and all the young black men fell out and became artists. Everywhere young men are working metal with torches and hammers. Boys plane wood and make doors with creative designs in them, huge beds, furniture, you name it. Even more amazing is that almost every house has their work decorating it. All the houses have the doors these young men have made, the stylized window bars, etc. The tools made are sold right down the street and bought and used by everyone. Just imagine if the Black neighborhood actually produced its own things, they all had unique creative flair, and the same neighborhood bought all of this work so that it looked like a standing art gallery. I am inspired by the creativity and ingenuity. They make ventilated doors, which you cant see through, but ar can move through while locked. Perfect for a place that is always hot. I could list things and be here all night, but I wont. I'll do it another day. Till then take a look...









6 comments:

  1. I love these posts CJ. Just like the chocolate chip oatmeal cookies I get from New Leaf, they are pleasing and comforting to me, yum. Beautiful pictures, especially the second one with the mural. Its very inspiring. Giving me ideas for my house and compound Is it a mural of a famous Malian? And the boys and men who make the iron work, are they considered blacksmiths? You used the term artisan to describe them; is there a difference between artisans and blacksmiths?

    And I love the color of house in the second to last picture. I've always loved earth tones with a splash of brightness on houses. It gives me a feeling of groundedness, a solid foundation.

    Also, can you share what the symbols on the iron work mean? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful beautiful beautiful, brother. the photos, your writing, your story as it unfolds... thanks for sharing. keep sharing. felicitations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture from within. The darkness and then the beautiful brightness of the outside is amazing! Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, three of my favorite people in the world commenting on the same page? This trip is worth it for that alone. But there is also so much more! I certainly will keep going Mom, thanks! And Kia I love you and appreciate it! I will appreciate it more when I look up felicitations, because Ive never heard it before, but it sounds like beautiful in French or something! Lol! And KK my friend I looove the earth tones to. Especially because there are bright colors everywhere contrasting it. It provides that warm feeling, and then yeah splashes of brilliance and inspiration. People walking by in all these bright colors, brillant green food and sorrel growing everywhere, its great. There is a difference in the artisans and Blacksmiths Ive heard because the blacksmiths are magic people that do superhuman things, though I'm not sure all of them do. They will call the artisans Numu, but they'll also say artisans and while some of them come from blacksmithing families, Im not sure how much of the traditional superman stuff and mystery school knowledge there is. So the modern work is super significant in the city, but it is considered somewhat different from the traditional by some people. Lqstly I dont know what the symbols mean, but thanks for asking cause now when I find out the words to ask I will! Also I think the painting was of a Rasta, some people like Rastas here and in Senegal

    ReplyDelete
  5. It appears all those pictures you took in your photography classes paid off. All your shots are perfectly framed. You go Simba. lv Dad

    Sorry it has taken me so long to read your journey and write. With the ecconomy as it is in Michigan and the midwest we have lots of family memebers loosing homes, heat in subzero winters and all jobs. Those of us doing better are trying to help. It keeps me busier than ever. Nonetheless, I am blessed to be given the strenth. Thanks for sharing. PS your writing is excellent. PS your sister surprized me by developing a website for my business. Check it out www.freeliteracy.net

    Now I begin to understand what it means to have "gifted children." All children are gifted, some just more than others and some use their gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos! Keep them coming!

    -Melinda

    ReplyDelete